Additional Featured Projects

Hunstiger Building

St. Cloud, Minnesota

GLTArchitects was hired to revitalize the former Hunstiger Meats building in downtown St. Cloud.  Built in 1886 and on the National Register of Historic Places, the building had undergone various remodelings.  This most recent renovation brought back the original splendor of the building.  The single glazed, aluminum storefront and granite were removed and were replaced with an energy efficient storefront system reminiscent of the original storefront.  Brick corbelling previously removed was reinstalled.  Second floor windows were replaced to replicate the original windows.  The entire building was upgraded to meet current codes.  Walls on the first and second floors were removed to accommodate an open environment, while at the same time, being flexible for different tenants.  Existing wood floors on both levels were exposed and refinished.  The building now efficiently meets the needs of the owner and the community while reflecting the historic character of the structure. 

Honor Award from the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota

Saint Benedict's Monastery Main Building

St. Joseph, Minnesota

Renovation has been completed at the Monastery’s Main Building.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Main Building was  constructed in 1882, 1883, 1892, 1899 and 1914. The first floor administrative offices were  reorganized and updated with new finishes and modern communications technology.  The second and third floors include 38 new bedroom units, each with a private bathroom and walk-in closet. The bedroom units are grouped into four separate living groups with each group sharing a common living/dining/kitchen area.  Several healthcare offices are also located on the residential floors.  To meet current building codes, a new stairwell was added to the northwest corner of the building.  Mechanical and electrical systems were  updated and improved throughout the entire building to include fire sprinklers and new air handling and conditioning units.

Honor Award from the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota

Griggs-Midway Building

St. Paul, Minnesota

The 3-story, 120,000 s.f. “540 Fairview Building” has been used as an office, warehouse, and manufacturing facility for more than 80 years. The 26,000 s.f. of tenant improvements on the first floor were custom designed to accommodate the Ramsey County Workforce Center, an office of the State of Minnesota. This tenant has occupied the space since January of 2007 and enjoys the view of the recently landscaped courtyard area. Office space of 20,000 s.f. on the second floor currently houses the Central Corridor Project Office, a division of MetroTransit. The third floor, with its large clerestory windows and panoramic views, is occupied by the offices of Minnesota Public Defenders.

Historic Former Post Office

Southwest Minnesota Private Industry Council
Montevideo, Minnesota

GLTArchitects was hired to convert this historic former post office into office space for the Southwest Minnesota Private Industry Council’s agency workforce center and space for the Montevideo Chamber of Commerce.

The challenge of this project was preserving the historical integrity of the building while adapting it to its new use.  The design increased the size of the second floor to allow for more workstations.  The central portion of the floor remains open to the floor below to allow for greater supervision, visual connection, and interaction between these two levels in the same manner it was used by the U.S. Postal Service.

589 E St. Germain

St. Cloud, Minnesota

GLTArchitects was hired to remodel a well-known 1920s-era downtown building.  The 48,000 square foot renovated building includes a showroom, office space, product storage and truck receiving area.  The showroom features “pods”, mini-homes built with siding, windows and roofing materials that the company sells.  Inside each “pod” is a conference table for contractors to meet with clients.  The building was designed to use as much natural light as possible in the showroom and office area.  Floor-to-ceiling storefront windows were restored along St. Germain Street and salvaged windows from a torn-down neighboring building were used to pass light through interior walls.   The downtown building has gone through many hands since it was built in the late 1920s, including International Harvester and the Donlin Company.

Stearns County Courthouse Renovation

St. Cloud, Minnesota

This renovation restores much of this historic building to its original splendor while providing additional office and courtroom space. GLTArchitects was responsible for the construction administration on this particular project. This project was completed on time and under budget.